Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Heresy of Life Distractions

Okay, this is really bad, but I just realized today that I haven't posted on this blog in over a year.  OOPS!  Don't tell the Inquisition!

If you've wondered how someone can forget to post a blog entry for an entire year, here are some of the things that have eaten up my time and concentration:

  • Starting new wargames, specifically Warhammer Fantasy, Dropzone Commander (an AMAZING newer game), Star Wars X-Wing, and Magic: The Gathering.  All of these are games for which I have amassed large collections, and since life is a zero-sum game, that means my Dark Angels took a back seat for long periods.
  • Starting grad school.  Being a glutton for punishment (and trying to work in education), I started a program to get my Master's degree.  This also takes a lot of time from painting green superhumans.
  • Soccer season (which never ends really), which takes away my Saturday and Sunday mornings, and free time during weekdays, etc.  I'm a huge soccer fan, so this is a major distraction.
  • Changing jobs.  As I sit here writing this, I am four days out from making the 2,200 mile journey from San Diego, CA to Chattanooga, TN for an awesome job opportunity.  So getting ready for that has been a big deal.
  • PLAYING.  While I wasn't posting blog articles, I was getting in a massive number of games with the Third Company.  I've also been adding to the Company (see below), and adjusting to the new 7th Edition of the 40k rules (more on that later).
All of that combined, I haven't been silent from the hobby by any means, specifically from the First Legion.  So let's take a second and catch up on what I have now that I didn't back when I was a 40K snob and wouldn't be caught dead playing anything else.

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what I had then and what I added now, so let me just give you a breakdown of what is in my collection as it stands, and I'll highlight what I'm pretty sure was there before in red.  Here it goes:

HQ
Dark Vengeance Company Master
Dark Vengeance Librarian
Dark Vengeance Interrogator-Chaplain
Terminator Interrogator-Chaplain
Librarian on Bike
Company Master

Elites
10 Deathwing Terminators (with 2 Assault Cannons and 2 Chainfists)
5 Veterans with storm shields and a Drop Pod

Troops
10 Tactical Marines (with a plasma gun, missile launcher, and Vet. Sergeant with combi-plasma)
10 Tactical Marines (with a plasma gun, plasma cannon, and Vet. Sergeant with combi-plasma)
5 Scouts (with bolters, heavy bolter, and Vet. Sergeant)

Fast Attack
3 Ravenwing Bikers (with 2 plasma guns and Vet. Sergeant)
Nephilim Jetfighter

Heavy Support
Predator (with turret twin-linked lascannon and sponson lascannons)

I've also added to this allies, in the form of the new Militarum Tempestus!  So far I have these units:

HQ
Command Squad (with 3 hot-shot volley guns, a vox-caster, and a Prime with power fist/bolt pistol)

Troops
5 Scions (with 2 plasma guns, a vox-caster, and a Tempestor with power weapon/bolt pistol)
Taurox Prime (with battle cannon and twin-linked hot-shot volley gun)
5 Scions (with 2 melta guns and Tempestor with chainsword/bolt pistol)

As you can see, my force has grown alot since last year.  It hasn't grown considerably, but it has grown, and I can now play upwards of 1,500-point games without the need to cram in things I don't like using just to fill the points.  I have big plans to keep adding to both this force and the MT allies (5-man squads are too small, IMO), but that'll have to wait until I move.

So, now that we've caught up a bit, let's try and make this a regular thing again, alright?

Alright, see you soon! (Hopefully...)

No comments:

Post a Comment