Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Note on the Name

As my first Dark Angels models sit drying on my desk, I thought I should take a moment and discuss why this blog is entitled "The Song of Redemption."

First, there is no "song" associated with the building of, or story attached to, the 3rd Company of the Dark Angels.  I use the word song in this case the way it was used in the middle ages and even before.  Before film, stories were told through the theatre.  Before the theatre, stories were told by bards, who would accompany tales of great heroes and evil villains with music and basic choreography.  Sometimes an entire story was told as the singing of a song.  If you have heard of the book series by George R. R. Martin entitled The Song of Ice and Fire- off of which the Game of Thrones HBO series was created- you have some idea what I'm talking about.

Thus, the Song of Redemption isn't a song, but a story of heroism, nobility, honor, and repentance.  The story of the 3rd Company will unfold as I build and play with this army.  It will write its own song, of tragedy, woe, victory, and death.

The story is yet unwritten, but the song will be sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment