Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Build Order

In the post I just put up about completing my second five-man squad I mentioned having 15 more Tactical Marines to complete to round out my core of 25, and it got me thinking about the order in which I want to complete the rest of the models I currently have to work with.

I'm sure for most people, this isn't really a "thought-out" process; you kind of just do it and build the squads you feel like building and go about your business. But maybe you do try to plan out what you will work on, and hopefully this gives you a little perspective. I've built 4 full armies before this one (5 if you include my Warhammer Fantasy army), so I know myself well enough to know this plan should work.

So you get an idea of what I still have on the sprue, it's (mostly from the DV set): 15 Tactical Marines (including options); a power-armor (PA) Librarian; a PA Chaplain (which is built but not based or primed); a PA Company Master (same as the Chappy); 5 Deathwing Terminators; and 3 Ravenwing Bikers.

I recently found a squad of 5 Scouts with bolters and a heavy bolter that I can easily repaint for Dark Angels, so they're in too.  I'm also working on getting some armor in the form of a Predator or a Dreadnought, but since it's not here yet (or even purchased), it won't count.

Given all of those models to complete (26 in total), my plan to complete them is as follows:
5 Tactical Marines (4 with bolters and 1 with plasma cannon)
PA Chaplain (limited edition model from DV set, with plasma pistol)
5 Scouts (4 with bolters and 1 with heavy bolter)
5 Tactical Marines (1 Sergeant, 2 with bolters, 1 with missile launcher and 1 with special weapon)
PA Librarian (from DV set)
5 Deathwing Terminators (4 with storm bolters and 1 with assault cannon)
5 Tactical Marines (1 Sergeant, 3 with bolters and 1 with special weapon)
3 Ravenwing Bikers (1 with plasma gun)
PA Company Master or Vehicle
Vehicle or PA Company Master

I've deliberately chosen this order (which may change, but probably won't), for the simple reason that it will keep me interested. After the first set of Tactical Marines I'll probably be tired of normal DA power armor and I'll need the Chaplain to have a minimum Primary Detachment. After that it'll be the Scouts to go completely away from power armor for a bit.  Then it kind of rotates through the pattern again: PA squad, PA leader, non-PA squad.  The difference will be the last rotation where the leader and non-PA squad will be switched, because I don't need 3 HQ choices (nor can I use them all at once), so there's no point completing them all before the rank-and-file are done.

I hope you've gotten some insight into the mind of a mad-man (too much time interrogating beneath The Rock I think).  Comment below if you've done something different or have any thoughts on my approach.

Quote of the Day: There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector.

No comments:

Post a Comment